Mom's Bucket List

From Mom:

My bucket list thoughts:  Two years ago, when we went to Christmas on the Pecos, I said "this was on my bucket list."  Lyn informed me that I couldn't have a bucket list, even though she didn't know what that meant.  

At the time I laughed.  Now, with this twist in her life I will listen to her.  I don't have a bucket list.  She is my sole focus.  I know I cannot travel except for day trips.  I know I cannot do what I want because her safety and well-being come first.

Lyn and Mom - July 2009


This doesn't make me sad, really.  I have tried to live life by knowing whatever I am dealing with I can look around and see people dealing with much worse.  So much in life is mind over matter.  I can think of other reasons for a pity party and this isn't one of them.

I am thankful to live in this great country, in this Land of Enchantment.  I am thankful for each of my children.  They have all made me proud for various reasons like the fact that no one has done drugs or had run ins with the police.  They all are productive citizens and have good work ethics.  They are kind, thoughtful and helpful to less fortunate.  What more could a mother want?  I am blessed. 

Perhaps I've finished my bucket list and didn't realize it.  I've traveled, met interesting people and eaten good food.  Perhaps some day, a few years from now, I can re-think the list.  But for now, it's just a day-to-day plan.

If, dear reader, this makes you sad, please don't be.  I understand things in this blog have brought tears to your eyes.  Please don't cry.  Our life is happy, our life is and has been productive.  Looking back, I wouldn't have done anything differently.  I am strong and independent because of this.  

There is ONE thing I want to do, need to do in the dementia travels.  I am determined to shed light on early on-set dementia for the intellectually challenged.  I'm not quite sure how this will happen but it will.  My stubborn German/Irish personality will do it.  Perhaps I can speak to a few people, organizations as well as other parents.

Any ideas for me?

Comments

Popular Posts