Another Dementia Blog

I came across the Dementia Blog maintained by Diane Thornton.  Diane was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago and has written a first person account of her experiences.

I've linked to her first post above.  She hasn't posted very frequently; sometimes, only once a month.  However, some of her writings provide an insight into dementia that mine will never be capable of doing.  For this reason, I'd like to direct you to the following posts:

Bad Brain Day
Blissfully demented: Coming to peace with your dementia
You've been diagnosed with dementia - now what?
Searching for Home
Find the Joy in the Now

Would Lyn write posts similar to these if she could write?  I don't know.  In all honesty, it doesn't matter if she would because Diane has written these posts and more.  They are providing me with an insight into my sister that I didn't have before.

I flew out to see Mom and Lyn this weekend.  It was a quick trip and Lyn was looking forward to it even though I had just spent a week with them.  Saturday evening, I was standing with Mom, chatting over the kitchen island.  Lyn came in from the next room to demand that Mom come sit with her.  She was clearly irritated.  I assumed that she was irritated that we weren't directing our conversation so that she was the center of attention.  After reading some of Diane's posts, I now wonder if, instead, Lyn's outburst was simply a symptom of her dementia.

Comments

Popular Posts